Henry Holloway Reed was born at Bengeworth in 1915, the second of three children of William Henry George Reed and his wife, Mary Elizabeth (née Ferns). The Reed family moved to Badsey in the spring of 1916 and lived at The Laurels, High Street. Henry was a pupil at Badsey Council School from 1921-1927; he then won a scholarship to Prince Henry’s Grammar School. By 1926 they lived at Ivydene, Bretforton Road, Badsey and, by the time of the 1939 Register, Henry and his parents were living at Primrose Cottage, Chapel Street (present-day No 5), Badsey. Henry’s father was described as a poultry, egg and rabbit dealer and a market gardener; Henry was described as assisting father.
Henry joined the Royal Army Service Corps (Service No T/166870). Corporal Reed was killed in Italy on 24th June 1944, aged 28 and was buried in Naples War Cemetery. He was serving with 350 General Transport Company, Royal Army Service Corps at the time of his death. The following words are inscribed on his grave: “Till we meet.”