GOLDEN WEDDING CELEBRATION – Mr & Mrs G E Jones of Badsey
Mr & Mrs George Edwin Jones of Cambrai, Badsey Fields Lane, Badsey, celebrated their golden wedding last Thursday.
Mr & Mrs Jones were married at St James’ Church, Badsey, by the late Rev Charles Granville Gepp on March 19 1892.
Mr Jones is the son of the late Mr & Mrs Charles Jones. He was born at Evesham in 1870 and came to Badsey in 1886. He began working as a market gardener on his own account in 1887.
Mrs Jones is the only daughter of the late Mr & Mrs Frederick Perkins of Badsey. She has resided in the village all her life.
Mr Jones was at one time known as “the Currant King”. He was also one of the first tomato growers in the district. In 1887 he introduced some new varieties, including one known as the King. Mr Jones, who has recently retired owing to ill-health, was a member of the Evesham Market Gardeners’ Association for 40 years.
Mr Jones was one of the founders of Badsey Rangers Football Club and was chairman for 12 years. A member of the church choir for more than 50 years, he was elected People’s Warden in 1914 and held that office until 1922. Since then he has been Vicar’s Warden. He is a member of the Simon de Montfort Lodge of the RAOB and the Ernie Thomas Lodge.
Mr Jones was the first member of the Badsey branch of the Cirencester Conservative Working Men’s Benefit Club. He was one of the officials for many years.
In 1902 he founded the Badsey Pig Club which is still flourishing.
Mr & Mrs Jones have two children, five grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.