Cynthia Mildred SAVORY (later MARTIN) (1874-1962)
Cynthia Mildred Savory, later Martin (1874-1962), was the daughter of Arthur Herbert Savory of Aldington Manor, and was friendly with the Sladden family.
Cynthia Savory was born at Aldington Manor on 16th October 1874, the only child of Arthur Herbert Savory, tenant farmer, and his first wife, Frances Matilda (née Cowper). She was baptized at St James’ Church, Badsey, on 15th November 1874.
Cynthia was aged almost nine when her mother died in October 1883. Two years later, her father married again and Georgina Ford Poulton became her step-mother. Half-siblings, Christopher Arthur Francis and Dorothy Joyce were born in 1886 and 1891. Cynthia was educated at West Heath School, Ham, Surrey, which was where she was at the time of the 1891 census.
It seems that the Savory family had a motor car which Cynthia was able to drive, as there are several references in letters of the 1890s about her driving her step-mother and Eugénie Sladden to “The Literary” in Evesham.
Cynthia married Charles Selwyn Martin, a fruit farm manager, on 29th January 1902 at Badsey. They had two children: Charles Christopher (1903-1944) and Ivy Cynthia (1906-1991).
In 1939 they lived at 348 Woodham Lane, Chertsey, Surrey; Charles was then Director of Energen Food Co Ltd.
Charles Martin died in 1954. Cynthia died in Exe Vale Hospital, Axminster, Devon, on 31st July 1962, aged 87. Her home address was given as South Cross, Musbury, near Axminster.