How did the road get its name?
Seward Close is situated immediately behind the garden of Seward House, from which the name derives, and is an offshoot of Seward Road.
When did housing development begin?
Seward Close is a small development of four detached houses built on an infill plot of land off Seward Road in about 2000.
The numbers are 1-4; the entrances to Numbers 1 & 2 Seward Close are actually on the east side of Seward Road.
19th and early 20th century auctions and ownership
Seward House, and all the land extending down to the brook, was originally built for the Seward family in the late 17th century. From 1879-1984, it was occupied by the Sladden family. In about 1970, the land nearest Badsey Brook was sold to a housing developer and houses were built along Seward Road. The Barn was sold in 1970 to Sir Julius Sladden’s great-nephew, Patrick Sladden, and his wife, Nancy, who converted half the barn for residential use (situated on Seward Road). The land to the south was sold in the late 1990s for the development of Seward Close.