Richard Burlingham was the son of Richard Henry Burlingham of ‘Burlinghams’ in Port Street, Evesham, he was a Captain in 1939. He was attached to the War Office by 1944 and, prior to this appointment, saw service in North Africa. He had the rank of Major by 1943 and Lt-Colonel by the time he left the Army. He served as Deputy Assistant Quarter-Master General. In 1939 he was living at ‘Leasowe’, Manor Road, Wickhamford, where two daughters were born during the War.
He later became Mayor of Evesham (1960-62) and then Chairman of Evesham Magistrates.