Skip to main content

Visitors’ Book

Comments

Wendy Davison - 27th June 2018 - 16:17

What an interesting website!

I am related...through my Mum, who was an Agg. I will have to visit Badsey soon....I’m sure there are relations of mine still around. Decimus Agg was related to us.

😊

Peter Stewart - 28th June 2018 - 19:22

In reply to by Wendy Davison

There are lots of descendents of Decimus Agg still around so well worth a visit to Badsey. There are 21 Agg family members listed in the Stewart of Badsey Family History, dating back to 1770.

Helen Phillips… - 9th June 2018 - 17:15

I note that Arthur did medical research, as did my father. I will trace the work he did through Wellcome Trust and/or BMJ and it would be interesting to find if they were similar. I have also traced other ancestors involved in Medical research - perhaps its carried in the Genes!

Helen Phillips.

Admin - 11th June 2018 - 19:33

In reply to by Helen Phillips…

Delighted to hear that you have found our website of use - thanks for contacting us.

Helen Phillips… - 9th June 2018 - 16:47

My father was James Mourilyan TANNER I have been working on the Tanner tree for a number of years and have seen Julian Sladden but have not followed it up. You have done some wonderful work and I am now going off again on a search for your

Gary Edwards - 9th June 2018 - 13:42

I am after information of a person named G E Knight, from your excellent website this could possibly be Gertrude Elizabeth Knight (b. 1895/6) OR George Edgar Knight (b. 1909), with particular reference to the registration of an Austin 7 motor car, made on 22nd October 1934 - registration mark WP6980 - I now own that car! I have just acquired a copy of the licensing entry from Worcestershire County Council and I was delighted to discover the original owner's name, albeit it could be one of two possibilities! I would like to know if anyone, or a family descendent of either the above could confirm who was the first owner and if they can recall the car and its early history - up to 1955 (I know the owner was then Arthur William Coole of Yew Tree Cottage, Earles Croome, Worcester. I have fully restored the car and it has been on the road since March 2015. The Austin was painted grey with black wings (as it is now). Here's hoping that someone has information, many thanks.

Admin - 11th June 2018 - 20:12

In reply to by Gary Edwards

Hello Gary

It seems likely that the owner was George Edgar Knight (born 18th May 1908).  At the time of the 1939 register, he was living at Lidcombe, Albert Road, Evesham, with his wife, Dorothy.  He was then working as Deputy Surveyor for Evesham Rural District Council.  He later moved to Moreton-in-Marsh when he became Surveyor for North Cotswold District Council.    As a professional man, it is quite likely that he would have been a car-owner.  Apparently he was a very good footballer (you can see a photo of him as a schoolboy) and played in the county team.  He was still playing football after the Second World War; Terry Sparrow recalls him returning to Badsey to play.

Maureen Lee - 28th May 2018 - 11:09

What a fantastic website. Lovely to see Don Barnard's reflections of William Barnard, my 3rd great grandfather. He seems like he was quite a character. Keep up the good work.

Maureen Spinks - 28th May 2018 - 12:36

In reply to by Maureen Lee

Many thanks for your kind comments - we enjoy doing the research and are delighted that the efforts of all our volunteers are appreciated.

Belinda Templeton - 24th May 2018 - 13:03

So pleased to have this article. My Great Grandfather was Sidney William Carter 1873-1925. This will help with the family history project I am working on. Will welcome an other info as well.

Sue Pope - 10th April 2018 - 20:41

Hi, I am undertaking an early music MA and I have seen that the church warden accounts for 1529-1710 have been transcribed in Midland Antiquary 1882. Does anyone know if there is a pdf version available?

Very best,

Sue

Hello Sue

You have probably seen the Churchwardens’ Accounts which we have on our website, but I am not aware of the Midland Antiquary transcription which you refer to - sorry not to be of more help.  Perhaps the Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service may be able to assist.

Clare Olver - 23rd March 2018 - 21:19

I've got no connection to these villages, so came across the site looking for inspiration - and it's delivered it in spades! There has been such a huge amount of time invested in the research, and the presentation of the website has made it very accessible. Congratulations to all concerned.

Maureen Spinks - 23rd March 2018 - 22:01

In reply to by Clare Olver

Thank you! We love doing the research, but it’s always good to know that there’s someone out there appreciating what we do.

Chris Kang - 23rd March 2018 - 19:42

Vivian Charles Buckley (Author of "The Good Years", "With A Passport And Two Eyes") described the Vale of Evesham and its surrounding countryside as 'English country living at its best'.
We plan to visit your beautiful Cotswolds this late May especially around Wickhamford Manor, Weathervane Cottage and surrounding countryside. Thank you.

I have just come across your message of 23rd March regarding Vivian Charles Buckley and your intention to visit Wickhamford.
If you have not already done so you may be interested in looking at the article and photos of the Sandys Arms, Wickhamford. V.C. Buckley stayed there whilst writing 'Tickets, please'.
If you scroll down the article and after the photo of Bertram Ockwell there are a couple of items relating to Mr Buckley.
Sadly The Sandys Arms is no longer a pub. The area around Wickhamford Manor has been altered slightly by the current owner but Weathervane Cottage looks much the same as when V.C Buckley was staying in the village.
I do hope you enjoy your visit to Wickhamford and the Vale of Evesham.
Regards
Valerie Harman

My sincere apology. I happen to see your response three days ago after we arrived back from our trip to Europe. I also have in my possession VC Buckley’s “With A Passport and Two Eyes” and “Draw Back The Curtains” which drew on a description of historical view of life long past. Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate a copy of “Tickets Please” to-date.

Prior to our departure for the UK in May, we received a gracious invitation from Shirley and Alan Tutton for coffee aboard their cabin cruiser in Evesham and a cruise to view the local area from the River Avon. They are such a delightful generous couple who proceeded to share historical tidbits of the surrounding area and then later escorted us to see Wickhamford Manor, the church adjoining the manor where Penelope Washington is buried, Weathervane Cottage and the Fleece Inn where we enjoyed a sumptuous late lunch. I even sat in the chair in the same spot in the Fleece Inn where the photograph taken by Vivian Charles Buckley in the 1930’s and pictured on Page 51 of his 1967 book (“The Good Life – Between the two World Wars with a Candid Camera”).

We would not have had the wonderful opportunity to see and learn more about the local history of the Vale of Evesham without Shirley’s and Alan’s generous assistance, friendship and time given so freely of which we are indeed very grateful for.

Regards,
Chris Kang

Lesley Wood - 25th February 2018 - 23:15

Good afternoon -- Wow, how this site has developed in the 8 or so years since I last looked at it!
I am delighted to know that Sladden family letters are being transcribed and made digitally available.
I am particularly interested in the correspondence between John Mourilyan and his daughter Eugenie (Sladden). John's second wife, Mary Anna, is my third great aunt and I have spent quite a lot of time researching them both.
I am wondering if there are plans to digitize any of those many letters...I live in Canada and though I looked at a couple of them when in Worcester a few years ago, it is doubtful if I will get back there again.
Regards
Lesley Wood

We are delighted to hear that you are appreciative of the hard work put in by our team of transcribers - it has very much been a labour of love over the last few years. For the time being, our efforts have been concentrated solely on the First World War period. We are still finishing off our WW1 project but, who knows, perhaps in a few years' time we might have the time and energy to look at other periods covered by the letters.

It is a lot of fun reading the transcribed letters. AND I really appreciate that you have posted the reference numbers and dates for the letters. This has already helped me pinpoint letters from John to Eugenie corresponding to dates of deaths in the family, so it will be easy for me to order these particular letters from the Beehive.

Jeremy Watts - 16th February 2018 - 16:00

Charles Inwood was my grandfather on my mother's side and I am interested to come across your website and his bio. Some of it was new to me but I can add more info (and correct something) if you would be interested.

Linda Taylor - 10th February 2018 - 8:01

I was absolutely thrilled to come across this site whilst looking for the family of Robert Hamilton Irvine MD. (His son Cyril Hunter Hamilton Irvine was my paternal great great grandfather). I have gleaned a lot of interesting information from this site. Thank you so much. Linda

Delighted that you have found the article on Bernard Barton informative. Just to let you know that a book is being written about Badsey at the time of the Great War, due for publication November 2018, timed to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the end of the war. Bernard Barton will be mentioned in the book. Check out our website nearer the time to find out details about the book.

Regards.

Maureen

Kevin Massey - 30th December 2017 - 21:55

Just discovered via your site that my 7th and 6th Great Grandparents are buried in the churchyard at Badsey. Richard Mason and his wife Mary (Cole) and their son Richard and possibly his wife Ann (Stafford). I look forward to visiting very soon. Thank you for a very informative site.

Valerie Harman - 31st December 2017 - 7:36

In reply to by Kevin Massey

Hello Kevin
My attention has been drawn to your message left yesterday on the Badsey Website.
Richard Mason snr and his son Richard who married Ann Stafford as his first wife are also my 7th and 6th Great Grandparents.
I believe that Robert Mason and his wife Judith, the parents of Richard snr, came to Wickhamford, the adjoining village to Badsey, around 1700 from the village of Alderminster, Warks. Prior to 1700 there are records of them living in Alderminster.
I note that you say you will shortly be visiting Badsey and I wonder if you would be interested in meeting up with me at Badsey and perhaps we could compare notes on our family trees.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Valerie

Jane Gibbens - 13th December 2017 - 0:38

My grandmother was Maud Pope she used to play at Birtsmorton court when she was little. I believe her cousins lived there. But I don't know much of her past, she married a Draycott and lived in Stratford upon Avon and had 5 children. I'm guessing she was related to the Wallington Popes as she used Sealy Wallington as one of her children's middle names. I wonder if anyone recognizes her name, I believe her middle name was Mary and she was born sometime in the 1870's. Thank you.

Sue E - 27th November 2017 - 20:45

In response to your comment that there is no known memorial in this country to Captain Alfred Hayman, there is a memorial tablet in Great Elm Church, near Frome in Somerset.

Cathy Thompson… - 26th November 2017 - 11:03

I am the great great grandaughter of a Childswickham Blacksmith - Joseph Belcher - married to Jane Bennett at Wickhamford in Dec 1846. This website has been the best and most useful I've accessed during my ongoing research into the Belchers of Childswickham, Wickhamford & Church Honeybourne. Thank you to everyone involved. I was born in Lancashire, I have a good friend who was born in Cleeve Prior (Sheaf family) - we think our ancestors would probably have crossed paths around the Badsey area . ....fascinating.

Very pleased to hear that you have found our website so useful. You may be interested in two newspaper articles (5th November 1831 and 13th July 1895) which have just been added in relation to the Belcher family - see the Newspaper Articles section on this website. Hope you continue to find out more about your family from this area.

SUe - 23rd November 2017 - 18:41

I have recently obtained the travel trunk used by Charles and his sister Mag (my great great Aunt and Uncle) on their trips to America. Can any information be found as to when they went and what ships they went on. As I was hoping to attach lists to the inside. Do hope some information can be found. Thank you

Sue Daniels

You don't give any indication of which Charles March you are talking about.  Having looked at our records, I assume you are talking about Charles Wilfred March who was born in 1900.  Your best bet is to look at the shipping records on the Ancestry and Find My Past websites.  If you don't have a subscription, you will normally find that you can access the sites at your local library.  Good luck with your investigations.

Thank you for getting back to me. I am sorry I have got the names wrong. It was Charles Frederick Jones 1860-1942 and his sister Florence Margaret who married Charles March. And I'll get onto those sites when I can.

Henry Knight - 15th November 2017 - 5:30

Hi Maureen,
After a long absence I have started back on our family tree. From your previous site where I obtained a lot of my info, I have compared it with your new site. I have always been puzzled as why there is no mother shown, only Joseph of his first children from 1686 to 1695 and then Eleanor as mother from 1699. I note that in Parish Records 1538-1753 there was a marriage in Wickhamford of a Joseph Night (Knight) marriage to Jane Darke, 15 Nov 1685, Entry Number 98, just before Thomas and William were born 16 Dec 1686, Baptisms Badsey 1538-1784, Entry Number 1247-48. There is a Joan (Jane) Knight Burial in Badsey Parish Records 1538-1784, Entry Number 965, died 14 Nov 1697. Then in Wickhamford Marriages, Entry Number 114, of Joseph and Eleanor Richardson in 14 Aug 1698. The birth of Henry occurred 16 Apr 1699, Entry Number 1371.
I now believe Joseph had 2 wives and I am related to Jane Darke?
An anomaly in the 1841 Badsey Census, Schedule 16, occupants are shown as Night. In 1851, Schedule 49, shows the family as Knight?