Skip to main content

Former blacksmith’s cottage and forge

This section contains 12 documents, ranging in date from 1774-1909, relating to the former blacksmith’s cottage and forge which was demolished in about 1948. The property consisted of two thatched cottages with outhouse which was used as a blacksmith’s shop until the 1870s. The cottages were located on what is now the graveyard extension at St James’ Church, Badsey, between the lychgate in Chapel Street and the 20th century bungalow called Byeways. The last document is for 1909 when the cottages were in the ownership of the Refuge Assurance Company Limited. They were later bought by the Sladden family. The cottages continued to be occupied until around the 1920s, but gradually became very run-down. They were pulled down in the late 1940s when an extension to the churchyard was made between 1949 and 1952, the daughters of Sir Julius Sladden having bequeathed the land to the church.