Grant 2005, Local Heritage Initiative – Enclosure Map Project
In February 2003, whilst attending a Local History Fair at The Guildhall, Worcester, Maureen Spinks attended a talk by Malcolm Atkin, the County Archaeologist, about the Archaeological Service’s Tithe and Enclosure Map Project. The Service had received funding to digitise the county’s maps, and were looking for parishes to work in partnership with to provide more in-depth analysis of the maps. Having considered the matter at Committee, it was decided that The Badsey Society should investigate whether it would be possible to obtain a grant.
The application form was submitted on 6th October 2004 and we heard a month and a half later that we had been successful in obtaining a grant of £22,946 from The Countryside Agency (on behalf of the National Heritage Memorial Fund, the governing body of the Heritage Lottery Fund) for a Local Heritage Initiative Project. The approved purposes were: “Through community involvement to research the history of Badsey and Aldington since 1807, using census material, deeds and photographic evidence. To scan the enclosure maps of the parishes and to work with Worcestershire Historic Environment and Archaeology Service to digitise these maps on to a 3D Geographical Information System (GIS) to facilitate access by the public.” The project ran officially from 2005-2007, but work on the project has been on-going since then.