Skip to main content

Silk Mill Cottages

This mill building next to Badsey Brook has a plaque saying "Rebuilt 1864". There was probably a water-powered corn mill on this site in 1712. In the early nineteenth century this became a silk mill and a public enquiry held in 1822 showed that "it was worked chiefly by child labour" in poor conditions. The silk mill closed not long after the new building was completed in 1864 and it was converted to residential accommodation. Here are some old photographs and articles on the history of the mill.