William Henry Stewart the son of Henry & Eliza Stewart, a market gardener of Bretforton, was born in that village and commenced work at the tender age of nine years, scaring crows and minding sheep for the late Mr. Blythe, of the Manor Farm, Aldington. For this, his remuneration was four pence and a quart of cider a day. About twelve months later, he commenced work at the quarry at Blackminster, for sixpence per day. Later, he drove plough for the Rev. T.H. Hunt, receiving sixpence for his services. When he asked for a rise of one penny a day, he was at first refused this, but afterwards told he must milk five cows and drive plough as well, if he were to receive seven pence. Subsequently, for 21 years, William was employed by the late Mr. A.H. Savory, of the Manor, Aldington, for the first ten years as under carter, receiving 13 shillings a week, and afterwards as head stockman. When Mr. Savory left in 1901, William commenced market gardening on his own. He married Charlotte Hartwell in 1881 in Badsey Church and had five children.
William Stewart with Mr. A. H. Savory of Aldington Manor