Menin Road South Military Cemetery is located 2 kilometres east of Ieper town centre, on the Meenseweg (N8), connecting Ieper to Menen.
The Menin Road ran east and a little south from Ypres (now Ieper) to a front line which varied only a few kilometres during the greater part of the war. The position of this cemetery was always within the Allied lines. It was first used in January 1916 and it continued to be used by units and Field Ambulances until the summer of 1918.
There are now 1,657 servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated in this cemetery, 119 of whom are unidentified. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.