DEATH FROM AN OVERDOSE OF
Mr. Rea, coroner, held an inquest on Friday at Guildford concerning the death of Mr. William Wallington Pope, farmer, of Wickhamford, near Evesham, who was found dead in bed at the Reindeer Hotel of Tuesday morning.
[A description of the body as examined at the scene by Mr H.J. Brown, surgeon, follows in the report.]
Witness was shewn a tumbler glass on the dressing table, and an ounce bottle empty with the label upon it “Collis Browne’s Chlorodyne.”
[Details of the post-mortem examination follow in the report.]
The appearances were exactly those witness would expect to find if a person had taken an immoderate dose of chlorodyne, which was highly poisonous, and it was supposed to consisted of chloroform aether, rectified spirits, treacle, extract of liquorice, muriate of morphia, oil of peppermint, syrup, and the most powerful form of prussic acid (2 per cent.) The usual dose of the chlorodyne was from 5 to 10 minims.
Mr. William Morris, druggist, Lowersmoor, said the deceased was his brother-in-law and lived with a brother at Wickhamford, near Evesham. He formerly carried on business as a farmer, but failed some nine months ago. Witness was aware that for about 18 months past the deceased had been in the habit of taking chlorodyne as a remedy for epileptic fits.
[Further witnesses were called]
This concluded the evidence, and the Coroner said it was evident that death had resulted from an overdose of chlorodyne, and the jury returned a verdict to this effect,