THE PICTURES IN BADSEY CHURCH
The “Raising of the Widow’s Son” by Otto Venius, was given by a Mr Bloxham when the church was reopened after restoration in 1885, whilst that of the “Virgin and Child” by Carlo Cignani, was the gift of “A Friend” at the same time. Otto Venius or Van Veen (1556-1634) was a pupil of Zucchero and the master of Rubens; many of his pictures may be seen at Antwerp and Brussels. Carlo Cignani (1628-1719) belonged to the Lombard School and founded the Clementine Academy at Bologna. He painted a picture for St Peter’s at Rome, but the chief of his very numerous works is the “Assumption of the Blessed Virgin” in the cathedral of Forli. Mr J Sladden, who was churchwarden of Badsey in 1885, is of opinion that the donor of the first-mentioned picture was a son or other near relative of the Rev Charles Bloxham, curate of Badsey and Wickhamford 1820-1839.
W C ALLSEBROOK, Vicar.