Skip to main content

Saturday 23 September 1933 – Wedding of Clifford Phillips at Badsey

Category Hatches, Matches and Despatches » Marriages
Publication
Evesham Standard & West Midland Observer
Transcription of article

DISTRICT NEWS, BADSEY WEDDING – Marriage of Mr Clifford Phillips

The marriage was solemnised at Badsey Parish Church on Saturday by the Vicar (Canon W C Allsebrook) of Miss Leanora (Lena) Tucker, only daughter of Mr & Mrs T Tucker of Knowle, Bristol, and Mr Clifford Phillips, only son of Mr F Wade Phillips, a member of Hampton Parish Council for nearly 20 years, and Mrs Phillips of The Parks, Aldington.

For family reasons, the ceremony was quiet.  The bride, who was given away by her father, was married in her traveling attire, which consisted of a beige costume with hat and shoes to tone.  She wore a valuable fox fur, the gift of the groom’s father.

There were no bridesmaids.  Mr E Adcock of Bristol, where the groom has been employed by the Bristol Motor Co Ltd for some years, was the best man.  The bride’s mother wore a becoming ensemble of cinnamon brown, while the groom’s mother was dressed in black silk with black lace.

After the ceremony a reception was held at the home of the groom’s parents where the majority of the numerous and valuable presents were on show.

Among those present at the wedding was Mrs Clifford, widow of Canon Clifford, who was the groom’s godfather, and Mrs Van Wart.

The gifts included a canteen of cutlery from Mr Phillips’ employers, and carvers from Mr E A Johnson, managing director of the firm.

Later in the afternoon the newly-married couple left by car for their honeymoon.

The future home of Mr & Mrs Phillips will be Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol.
 

Comments

NB – The marriage certificate gives the bride’s name as Lilian Ethel Tucker.