Around 1969, Wickhamford Manor was sold by George Frederick Banham to Hugh Philip Terry, who was usually known as ‘Philip’. He had married Stella Annie Jarrard on 1st June 1939 in Earlsdon, Coventry. The wedding was attended by over 200 guests and reported in all of the local newspapers, which gave various details of the couple’s families. She was the only daughter of Coventry solicitor, A.H. Jarrard. The bridegroom’s father, Charles Terry, was an Alderman, a member of Worcestershire County Council and the Chairman of Herbert Terry and Sons Ltd. Philip was said to be a well-known competitor in Midlands motor trials and held the position of President of the Redditch & District Fire Brigades Association. Hugh Philip and Stella Terry were reported as going to live at Pook’s Hill, Crabbes Cross, Redditch.
For the 1939 National Register their address was given as The Slough, Crabbes Cross, Alcester and his occupation was given as ‘Director Assistant Spring Manufacture’. Stella was an A.R.P. Ambulance driver. They later had two children.
Philip and Stella Terry moved to the Manor in 1969. A family wedding took place in St John the Baptist Church, Wickhamford, the following year. The Terry family lived at Wickhamford Manor until 1979, when it was sold to Jeremy Ryan-Bell.
The story of Herbert Terry & Sons Ltd and the Anglepoise lamp
Herbert Terry was born in Redditch, in about 1837, the son of needle finisher Charles Terry and his wife, Catherine. He married Mary Ann Young in 1865, but had earlier established a company, in 1855, making fishing tackle. In the 1900s Herbert Terry started a winding spring business in a terraced house in Redditch and he then acquired business premises. He died in Bromsgrove in 1910.
In the 1917-1919 period, the company he founded was advertising a spring and presswork service. In 1933, inventor George Carwardine took the designs he had for a lamp to Herbert Terry and Sons, in order to make special springs for what became the Anglepoise lamp. The company was made a public one in 1933 and by 1935 the industrial version of the lamp was a huge success and a domestic version with three springs was being made – ‘Anglepoise 1227’.
Tom Locke, February 2019