How did the road get its name?
Birmingham was originally known as Blackminster Lane because it was the road to Blackminster; it was known as this in 1866 when Edward Wilson sold the land to the west of the road. With the opening of Littleton and Badsey Station at Blackminster on 21st April 1884, it became an important route for sending market gardening produce to market in Birmingham. By the beginning of the 20th century it was being referred to as Birmingham Road. The station was closed on 3rd January 1966, but the road is still a busy thoroughfare with many HGV lorries transporting goods to out-of-town warehouses.
When did housing development begin?
The first house in Badsey built on this road was West View in 1897, just round the corner from Laburnam Villa in neighbouring Bretforton Road. There was then no more housing development until the latter part of the 20th century when five more houses were built.
Housing is only on the east side of the road. The first four houses are numbered, 2, 4, 6 & 8, then West View, then the old exchange which has been converted into residential accommodation.
19th and early 20th century auctions
Birmingham Road is not specifically mentioned in the Badsey Enclosure Award Schedules, presumably because the majority of the road existed in the parish of Offenham. The land formed part of Nether Field and Lower Nether Field. On 23rd July 1866, Edward Wilson sold the land at an auction at The Northwick Arms Hotel, Evesham, in Lot 3. It was bought by William Henry Ashwin of Bretforton and remained in the Ashwin family until 1912, being sold as part of Lot 2.