How did the road get its name?
Church End so called because it is a cul-de-sac situated to the south-east of St James’ Church.
When did housing development begin?
Church End is a small development of four detached bungalows built in the 1990s on land which used to belong to the house called The Firs (present-day Number 27 High Street).
The numbers are 1-4.
19th and early 20th century auctions and ownership
In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was part of the garden of an old enclosure which belonged to William Collett. It comprised a house (The Firs, High Street) and land amounting to just over an acre. It passed out of the Colletts’ hands in 1865, following the death of Mary Collett, when it was sold at public auction. The Firs was bought by Victor Cockerton in 1920; his grandson still lives in the house to this day. The eastern-most section of the plot was sold in the 1990s for the building of these bungalows.