How did the road get its name?
The Poplars is named after the house of the same name, a substantial Georgian building which, together with its old barn, was demolished in 1966 in order to make the access road to the new Seward Road development.
When did housing development begin?
The Poplars was built in 1966 as a private housing development. It comprises five pairs of semi-detached bungalows and one detached bungalow.
The 11 properties are numbered 1-12 with no number 11. The even numbers are on the north side and the odd numbers on the south side.
19th and early 20th century auctions and ownership
The bungalows are all sited on a plot of land which, in 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, was an old enclosure which belonged to Thomas Byrd. It was part of the garden of his house, The Poplars. The house and land were bought by Horace Wheatley in the early 20th century and remained in the Wheatley family until the 1960s when it was sold for development.