Here are the entries for Badsey, Aldington and Wickamford in Kelly’s Directory of Worcestershire, 1880. The names that appear at the end of the entry are listed in the Badsey, Aldington and Wickhamford list of names.
BADSEY is a village and parish, about 2¼ miles east from Evesham station, in the Eastern division of the county, Upper Blackenhurst hundred, Evesham union and county court district, rural deanery of Evesham and archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester. The church of St James is an old stone building, much decayed, partly in the Early English style, and partly, with its square embattled tower, in the style of the sixteenth century. It consists of chancel, nave and north transept, and tower which contains 6 bells with chimes. In the interior of the church, which retains little of its original character, is a monument of the Hoby family, much mutilated and defaced. There is a stained window in the north transept, in memory of Mr Edward Appelbee, who died in 1851, presented by his widow, Mrs Appelbee. In the churchyard, near the porch, there remains a portion of the pedestal of an ancient cross. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £150, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford and held by the Rev Thomas Henry Hunt MA of Christ Church, Oxford. The charities amount to £12 a year, distributed in bread to the poor of Badsey every quarter, and £6 a year distributed in like manner to the poor of Aldington. At the time of the dissolution of Evesham Abbey there was standing on the site of the present manor farmhouse an infirmary for the invalid brethren of that establishment. The rights of the lord of the manor of Badsey were purchased, together with the churchyard, in the year 1866, from Mr E Wilson, the late lord of the manor, and are now vested in the incumbent for the time being. The principal landowners are the trustees of Captain Lord, Thomas Byrd Esq, Herbert New Esq, Henry Ashwin Esq, Christ Church Oxford, Thomas Y Tovey Esq and the Rev Thomas H Clark. The land is fertile, some is arable, but from 1865 much farm land has been converted into garden ground. The area is 1,157 acres; rateable value, £2,736; and the population in 1871 was 487.
ALDINGTON is a small village and hamlet, about 2 miles north-east from Evesham. The Manor House, the modern villa of Henry Ashwin Esq, lord of the manor, but now in the occupation of Arthur Herbert Savory Esq, stands in the village, on the margin of a stream, which descending from the Broadway Hill, flows into the Avon, turning several mills in its course. On the banks of the Avon is the seat of the Rev Thomas Humphries Clark MA, now occupied by Messrs John and Thomas Hawkes. The land is fertile, chiefly arable. The hamlet contains about 632 acres; rateable value £2,270; the population in 1871 was 147.
Parish Clerk, William Barnard.
Letters through Evesham, which is the nearest money order and telegraph office.
Here is a National School, erected in 1854 at a cost of £372. The ground was given by the late Richard Ashwin Esq. Miss Ruth Silvester, Mistress.
WICKHAMFORD is a small village and parish, about 3 miles south-east from Evesham, in the Eastern division of the county, Evesham union and county court district, Upper Blackenhurst hundred, Evesham rural deanery, and Worcester archdeaconry and diocese. The church of St John the Baptist is a stone building, consisting of chancel, nave, with a plain square tower in the Early English style; the whole was re-seated, thoroughly repaired and carefully restored, about 1837, at the expense of Lord Sandys, to the memory of whose ancestors are two elaborate altar-tombs, bearing date 1626. The register dates from the year 1536. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £41, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, and held by the Rev Thomas Henry Hunt MA, late student of Christ Church, Oxford, who is also vicar and resides at Badsey. The trustees of Captain John Lord, who are lords of the manor, and the Rev Thomas Henry Hunt are the principal landowners. The soil is rich mould, very fertile; subsoil, some sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and fruit; much land is devoted to garden purposes. The area is 1,242 acres; rateable value, £1,729; and the population in 1871 was 135.
Parish Clerk, William Barnard.
Letters arrive from Evesham, which is the nearest money order and telegraph office.