BADSEY is a village and parish, bounded on the west by the River Avon, 1½ miles south from Littleton and Badsey Station on the Worcester and Dudley section of the Great Western railway, about 2¼ miles east from Evesham, in the Southern division of the county, Upper Blackenhurst hundred, Evesham petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Evesham and archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester. The church of St James is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north transept, south aisle with porch, and an embattled western tower, containing 6 bells with chimes. The interior of the church retains little of its original character, but has a monument, much mutilated, to the Hoby family. There is a stained window in the north transept to Mr Edward Appelbee, who died in 1851, presented by his widow, Mrs Appelbee. The church was restored in 1884-5 at a cost of £2,131 8s 10d and affords 206 sittings, 96 being free. In the churchyard, near the porch, there remains a portion of the pedestal of an ancient cross. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £240, including 150 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, and held since 1887 by the Rev Charles Granville Gepp MA of Christ Church, Oxford, who is also vicar of Wickhamford. The charities amount to £12 a year, distributed in bread to the poor of Badsey every quarter, and £6 a year distributed in like manner to the poor of Aldington. At the time of the dissolution of Evesham Abbey there was standing on the site of the present manor farmhouse an infirmary for the invalid brethren of that establishment. The rights of the lord of the manor of Badsey were purchased, together with the churchyard, in the year 1866 from Mr E Wilson, the late lord of the manor, and are now vested in the incumbent for the time being. The principal landowners are the trustees of the late Captain John P Lord (d 1877), of Hallow Park, the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, Thomas Byrd Esq of Aldington, James Ashwin Esq of Bretforton, Henry Byrd and William Smith Esqs, the trustees of the late William Baldwin, Albert William Byrch Esq, William Hurd Adams, A H Savory Esq and the vicar. The land is fertile, some arable, but from 1865 much farm land has been converted into garden ground. The area is 1,161 acres; rateable value, £3,318; the population of Badsey alone in 1891 was 574.
Parish Clerk, William Mustoe.
Post, MO & TO, SB, Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office – Elijah Crisp, sub-postmaster. Letters through Evesham arrive at 7.30 am and 2.10 pm but have to be called for; dispatched 6.30 pm. No Sunday delivery.
A School Board of 9 members, formed 19 April 1893, for Badsey United District, comprising Aldington, Badsey & Wickhamford; Edward Wadams, clerk to the board; Walter Richard Warmington, attendance officer.
Board School (mixed), erected in 1895, at a cost of about £1,500, for 260 children; average attendance, 150; John Henry McDonald, Master.
ALDINGTON is a small village and hamlet, 1½ miles south-west from Littleton and Badsey railway station, about 2 miles east-by-north from Evesham. Here is a Baptist chapel. The Manor House, a modern residence belonging to James Ashwin Esq, JP, lord of the manor, but now in the occupation of Arthur Herbert Savory Esq, stands in the village on the margin of a stream, which, descending from the Broadway Hill, flows into the Avon, turning several mills in its course. The Parks Farm, on the banks of the Avon, is the property of the Rev Thomas Humphris Clark MA, vicar of Heybridge, Essex, is now occupied by James William Hopkins. The land is fertile, chiefly arable. This hamlet contains 646 acres; much land is devoted to garden purposes and hops are grown here; rateable value £2,606; the population in 1891 was 173.
Wall Letter Box cleared 6.50 pm week days only.
WICKHAMFORD is a small village and parish, about 3 miles south-east from Evesham in the Southern division of the county, Evesham petty sessional division, union and county court district, Upper Blackenhurst hundred, Evesham rural deanery and Worcester archdeaconry and diocese; the parish is bounded on the south by Gloucestershire. The church of St John the Baptist is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave, south porch, and an embattled western tower of two stages containing one bell; the whole was reseated, thoroughly repaired and carefully restored in the year 1841, at the expense of Lord Sandys; in the church are two elaborate altar-tombs of the Sandys family, placed end to end, under a continuous flat canopy, supported by five Corinthian columns; on each tomb are the recumbent figures of a knight in half-armour and his lady, and at the back are shields of arms; the cornice is ornamented by pinnacles and groups of figures, as well as two large quartered shields, with helm and mantling; these commemorate Sir Samuel Sandys, knight, eldest son of Edwyn Sandys DD, Archbishop of York (1577-88), ob 1626, and Mercy (Culpeper), his wife, 1629; and Sir Edwyn Sandys, knight (son of Sir Samuel), also 1626, and Penelope (Bulkeley or Buckley), his wife, 1680; on the front of the first tomb are the figures of four sons and seven daughters, the eldest son and all the daughters having small shields of arms above their heads; on the front of the other tomb are the figures of five sons and three daughters; there are 80 sittings.. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £40; gross yearly value, £39 10s, including 12 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, and held since 1887 by the Rev Charles Granville Gepp MA of Christ Church, Oxford, who is also vicar of and resides at Badsey. The trustees of the late Captain John P Lord (died 1877), of Hallow Park, who are lords of the manor, and the vicar, are the principal landowners. The soil is rich mould, very fertile; subsoil, some sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and fruit; much land is devoted to garden purposes. The area is 1,234 acres; rateable value, £1,389; the population in 1891 was 137.
Parish Clerk, William Mustoe.
Letters arrive from Evesham at 8.30 am. Badsey is the nearest money order and telegraph office.
Wall letter box, cleared at 5.50 pm week days only.
The children of this place attend the Board school at Badsey.