Captain John Arthur Lord (1896-1980) was the son of Arthur Edward Lord and Helena Julia (née Bramwell) and the grandson of John Pickup Lord who purchased the Wickhamford Estate in 1869. After the latter’s death the Estate was run by a succession of Trustees and John Arthur Lord and his cousin, Frederick Maurice Lord, disposed of the remaining land and properties to Christ Church College, Oxford in 1950.
John Lord was in the Eton College Contingent, Junior Division, Officer Training Corps and transferred to The Queen’s Own Worcestershire Yeomanry as a 2nd Lieutenant on 22 March 1915 (London Gazette, 10th May 1915). The London Gazette of 19th July 1916 mentions his transfer to the 13th Hussars. This battalion went to Mesopotamia in July 1916. John Arthur Lord was promoted to Lieutenant on 30th March 1921 and when he applied for his War service medals, on 5th November 1925, his record card gives his rank as Captain. He was awarded the Victory and British War Medals. During World War Two, ‘Jock’ Lord was serving in the Inspectorate of Aerodrome Defence, GHQ, Home Defence in 1941 and may have later been in the Home Guard. At the time of his death on 12th October 1980 an obituary notice gave his rank as Lieutenant-Colonel and reported that his funeral was held at Saintbury Church.