Skip to main content

Badsey Society Newsletter No 13, July 2005


Quarterly Badsey Society newsletter sent to members. At Badsey First School’s Summer Fete there was an exhibition “The Development of the parishes of Badsey and Aldington since 1807”. Peter Stewart provided display of Roman artefacts found in Badsey. Society’s Local Heritage Initiative project is progressing well. Future events: Badsey Flower Show; Village Walk in Aldington following route of 1901 census enumerator and Day School on old deeds. Speakers for Day School will be Robin Whitaker, Archives Manager at Worcestershire Record Office and Nat Alcock, author of “Old Tittle Deeds”. Also Archaeological Field Walk and quiz. An evacuee, Stan Hayes from Birmingham, stayed with the Wasley Family in Aldington and told us that that family kept two pigs. Arthur Herbert Savory of Aldington Manor told of life in the 19th century in his book “Grain and Chaff from an English Manor”. He mentioned William Bell, the Farm Bailiff, who lived at what’s now known as Corner Cottage and George Harwood the Hop Foreman who lived where Hillside now is. George’s great grandson, Derek, was a Governor of Badsey First School. William Tricker of Worcestershire married Mary Harris at Badsey in 1844 and subsequently worked for Arthur and lodged with Samuel and Amelia Butler at Elm Cottage, Aldington. About 1840 John Emms, a gardener, moved from Bretforton to Aldington and lived next door to George. Names of Committee members: Will Dallimore (Chairman), Maureen Spinks (Secretary), Terry Sparrow (Treasurer), Liz Dyer, Ian Gibson, Tony Jerram, Richard Phillips, Neil Thould.

Year created
Publication Date/Date Made
July 2005
Physical Characteristics (Dimensions)
14.8 cm x 21 cm
Physical Characteristics (Description)
1 sheet of A4 paper folded to make A5-size leaflet
Donor or Creator of Records
The Badsey Society
Badsey Society records
Nature of Acquisition
Collected for the Archive
Accession Date
Access Conditions
Contact Archive Manager
Attached Documents