Jesse Jelfs (1870-1890) was born at Aldington in 1870, the eldest of four children of Thomas Jelfs and his wife, Emma (née Edkins). He was four years old when the family decided to emigrate to America. A younger brother, Frederick, had been born in Birmingham a year before the voyage. Two sisters were born once the family had settled in Ohio.
Jesse’s father, Thomas, died on 28th February 1878 at Parkman, Ohio, when Jesse was eight years old. Jesse’s mother married again the following year to George Reynolds. At the time of the 1880 Federal Census , whilst his two sisters were living with their mother and step-father in Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Jesse, was staying with his grandparents, George and Elizabeth Edkins, in Bainbridge, Geauga County, Ohio; they had emigrated in 1875.
Jesse died at Bainbridge on 22nd June 1890, aged 20.
- George Edkins – emigrated 1875
- Elizabeth Edkins – emigrated 1875
- Betsey Edkins – emigrated 1875
- Caroline Edkins – emigrated 1875
- Jane Edkins – emigrated 1875
- Alice Edkins – emigrated 1875
- Oliver Edkins – emigrated 1875
- Ellen Edkins – emigrated 1874
- Emma Jelfs (née Edkins) – emigrated 1874
- Thomas Jelfs – emigrated 1874
- George Edkins – Wickhamford’s First Market Gardener