Wickhamford Church Tower was built in the years after the Civil War, being completed in 1686. At the top of the South wall, an oval cartouche can just be made out on battlements. With a good telescope an inscription can partially be made out which reads -
Val Harman and Tom Locke have an ongoing project to find out more about the Wickhamford Churchwardens. Here is their article covering 1663 to 1790
, including the two named here.
Photographing the cartouche proved a challenge. Tom Locke climbed the tower and precariously lent over the edge to take one picture. But the picture shown here was taken from the ground by Peter Stewart with a long lens.