Present-day address: 5 Old Post Office Lane, Badsey
A stone house believed to date back to the 16th century. In 1812, at the time that the Badsey Enclosure Map was drawn up, Elizabeth Ballard owned this house. By 1833, it was in the ownership of Thomas Byrd, as he wrote in his will, “that messuage or farm house (now converted into three tenements) with the garden thereto adjoining situate in the village of Badsey now in the several occupations of Stephen Crisp, Joseph Knight and George Halford”. For most of the 19th century and early 20th century it was occupied by two families but, since about the 1930s, it reverted to being a single residence.
Photographer: Graham Corbett, May 2008