The La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memorial commemorates 3,740 officers and men of the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) who fell at the battles of Mons, Le Cateau, the Marne and the Aisne between the end of August and early October 1914 and have no known graves. Private William Capener, who died on 26th September 1914, is remembered on the La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memorial (Panel 64-65).
La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre is a small town 66 kilometres east of Paris, located on the main road (N3) running east from Paris. The Memorial is situated in a small park on the south-western edge of the town, on the south bank of the River Marne, just off the main road to Paris.
The monument is constructed of white Massangis stone and surmounted by a sarcophagus on to which military trophies are laid. At the four corners of the pavement on which the monument stands are stone columns supporting urns which bear the coats of arms of the four constituent nations of the United Kingdom.
The memorial was designed by George H Goldsmith, a decorated veteran of the Western Front, and unveiled by Sir William Pulteney (who had commanded the III Corps of the BEF in 1914) on 4th November 1928.