Skip to main content

Seine-Maritime – St Sever Cemetery Extension

Private Charles Harwood, who died on 22nd April 1918, is buried in St Sever Cemetery Extension, Rouen, Seine-Maritime, France (plot P VII A 3B).  St Sever Cemetery and St Sever Cemetery Extension are located within a large communal cemetery situated on the eastern edge of the southern Rouen suburbs of Le Grand Quevilley and Le Petit Quevilly.

During the First World War, Commonwealth camps and hospitals were stationed on the southern outskirts of Rouen.  Almost all of the hospitals at Rouen remained there for practically the whole of the war.  They included eight general, five stationary, one British Red Cross and one labour hospital, and No 2 Convalescent Depot.  A number of the dead from these hospitals were buried in other cemeteries, but the great majority were taken to the city cemetery of St Sever.  In September 1916, it was found necessary to begin an extension, where the last burial took place in April 1920.

The cemetery extension contains 8,348 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and 328 from the Second World War; there are also eight foreign national burials.  The extension was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

St Sever Cemetery Extension
St Sever Cemetery Extension, © The War Graves Photographic Project.