Skip to main content

Saturday 8 February 1947 – Death of Albert Edward Evans in a car crash

Category Badsey and Aldington
The Evesham Journal
Transcription of article

Death of Mr A E Evans of Badsey

Mr Albert Edward Evans, 77, of Sand Lane, Badsey, member of a family which is well known in the Evesham district, died almost instantly when the private car in which we was a passenger was in collision with a lorry opposite Bengeworth Post Office, Port Street, early on Saturday afternoon.  Mr Evans suffered head injuries, but it is thought that his death was due to shock.

The car, in which Mr Evans was travelling towards the centre of the town, was driven by Mr Frederick Wheatley of 5 South View Terrace, Badsey, who was injured about the chest and is detained in Evesham Hospital.  The lorry was being driven in the opposite direction by Mr Robert A Troughton, 1 Synehurst Terrace, Badsey, for his employer, Mr J A Marshall, haulage contractor, of Aldington, who was not hurt.  The car was badly damaged and there was some damage to the lorry.

Mr Evans, a native of Birmingham, had lived in the district for about sixty years and was a well known and very popular figure in Evesham and Badsey where for most of his life he was connected with the market gardening industry.  He was the second son of the late Mr & Mrs E Evans of The Laurels, Badsey, formerly of Birmingham.  His wife, who before her marriage was Miss Emma Bell of Badsey, died four years ago and since that time Mr Evans had not taken his previous energetic part in his business though he remained very active.

As a young man he was a keen cricketer and footballer, playing for Badsey at both games for a number of years.  It is a sad coincidence that in last week’s issue of the Journal under “News published 50 years ago” there was reprinted a report of a match between Badsey Rangers and Pershore Town in the North Cotswold and Vale of Evesham League, in which Mr Evans’ name appeared as a member of the Badsey team.

Throughout his life he was a keen follower of sport of all kinds and his great interest in local sport made him many friends amongst the younger generation.  He was devoted to animals and had a good deal of skill in their management.  In the First World War he served overseas in the Royal Army Veterinary Corps.  He was one of the original members of the Cirencester Conservative Benefit Society in Badsey.

Mr Evans is survived by seven children, four sons and three daughters.  He had four brothers and two sisters, of whom Mr E J Evans (formerly of The Fish and Anchor Hotel, Offenham, and present member of the Evesham RDC for North and Middle Littleton), Mr T M Evans, of Bridge Street, Evesham, and Mrs A Sears of Badsey, survive.

The funeral took place at Badsey on Wednesday, conducted by the Vicar (Rev J G Jeffreys).  Mourners were:  Messrs George, Ted, Bert and Horace Evans (sons), Mrs Frank Ovard and Mrs Jack Burton (daughters), Mr Ernest Evans (brother), Mrs G Evans, Mrs H Evans (daughters-in-law), Mr Colin Ovard (grandson), Messrs C Sears, R Murray, F Dore, A Dore and F Bell (nephews) and Mrs W Dore, Mrs A Wheatley, Miss P Sears and Mrs C Sears (nieces).

Mrs Frank Corbett (daughter) was unable to attend owing to illness.

Also in the church were Mr W C Knight, Mrs Baker, Mr A Harwood, Mr D Caswell, Mr G Moisey, Mr G Willmore, Mr T H Knight, Mrs F Wheatley, Mr & Mrs W Sears, Mr J Wheatley and Mr W Keen.

There was a large number of floral tributes, including wreaths from the Northwick Darts Club and The Bell Inn customers.



We are grateful to Neil Corbett, the grandson of Albert Evans, for supplying a copy of this newspaper cutting.  On the death certificate, completed by the coroner, was the following cause of death:  “Shock contributed to by lacerations of the face and other facial injuries sustained by him as the result of a motor accident in which he was involved in Port Street, Evesham on 1st February 1947 while riding as a passenger in a Rover 14HP motor car Regd No. AHA15 driven by Fred Wheatley which was involved in a collision with an Austin 3 ton motor lorry Regd No. HG 7670 driven by Robert Alec Troughton.  Verdict, Death by Misadventure.”

Neil was born just three weeks before his grandfather died.  His mother, Molly Corbett, used to say that the driver was stung by a wasp and lost control.  “I like to think that might be true so that no one was really to blame, except perhaps the wasp,” says Neil.