Ex-Badsey Man Home from Canada to Wed
Mr Robin William Sandford, only son of Mr & Mrs Frank Sandford of 32 Synehurst, Badsey, was married at St Michael’s Church, Coppenhall, Crewe, on Saturday, to Miss Pearl Christina Clements, only daughter of Mr & Mrs W G Clements of No 60 Mossford Avenue, Crewe.
The ceremony was conducted by the Rev W Thornton and Mr Fleet was organist for the hymns, “Love Divine, all loves excelling” and “The King of Love, my Shepherd is”.
The bride, who was given away by her father, wore a ballerina-length dress of white satin, cut on classical lines, with a small coronet of pearl sequins and tiny seed pearls, a three-quarter veil in nylon net and carried a bouquet of lilies and stephanotis secured with a royal blue satin bow.
She was attended by three bridesmaids, Miss Susan Abbey, Miss Rita M Wilson and Miss Susan Pritchard, her cousins. Miss Abbey and Miss Wilson wore dresses or royal blue satin and white accessories and carried hand sprays of white freesias. Miss Pritchard wore a dress of yellow brocade and carried a bouquet of anemones. Mr John Barker of Malvern was best man.
A reception was held at North Street Working Men’s Club where 60 guests were entertained. The honeymoon is being spent touring the South Coast, the bride travelling in a charcoal-grey suit with coral and stone-coloured accessories. Their future home will be in Nova Scotia where they will return later this month.
The bridegroom is a native of Badsey, being educated at Prince Henry’s Grammar School, Evesham, and he served for five years at the Gloucester Aircraft Company at Brockworth. Two years ago he took up employment with Fairey Aviation as aeronautical engineer in Nova Scotia, Canada.
Before moving to Canada, Mr Sandford was a well-known footballers, playing for his school, for Badsey Rangers and for Worcestershire. He has also played football in Canada and was chosen to play for the Dominion of Canada against the USSR in 1958, but could not paly as he had not been resident in Canada long enough. The bride emigrated to Canada from Crewe in 1956.