Skip to main content

October 1914 - Choir Outing to Weymouth

Monthly Magazine for the Parishes of S James, Badsey, with Aldington & S John Baptist, Wickhamford
Transcription of article


By A. E. B.

In the early hours of the morning of 7th July, we arrived at Badsey Station. At a quarter to six we were in the train on our journey to Weymouth. We were due to arrive there at 10.30, but on arriving we found that we were three-quarters of an hour late. We were able to see the sea just before we reached Weymouth. After having lunch in a restaurant we went on to the sea-front. The sea looked a light blue near the land, but farther out it looked a dark blue. Some of us had a paddle, and two of the boys had wet knickerbockers when they came out put on their shoes and stockings. At 1.30 our dinner was ready. After dinner we went on board a steamer bound for Portland Bill. Two of the boys enjoyed themselves very much. They had the pleasure of being sea-sick. When we were nearing Portland one of our members had a ducking from a large wave. As the steamer was passing through the opening of the first wall which guards the town I saw a notice warning people not to throw rubbish into the harbour. There are three rows of walls, one being out to sea and the other two being nearer land. At each opening are two forts, one on one side and the other on the side opposite. When we were in the harbour the boys began to get better. We saw many battleships. One was signalling as we passed. After landing our thoughts were of paddling again. Then came tea-time and we returned to the Red House Restaurant to have tea, After doing some shopping we made our way to the river. Here we saw a ship unloading her cargo of flour. Five sacks were lifted at once by a crane on to a dray which stood on the side of the river. We then came on to the sea-front again. On the sands was a moveable theatre. We went into it and heard some comic songs which were sung by some very fine singers. At nine o'clock our train commenced the return journey. Just after we got out of the town we saw that the battleships were lit up with electric light. One of the boys who was not very well on our journey to Portland slept from just after we began our homeward march till we arrived at Badsey Station at 1.40 a.m. on Wednesday.


[With the exception of Mr. H. Pethard, who very kindly assisted the Vicar in looking after the boys, the men, according to arrangement, left the party on arrival at Weymouth and made an independent tour of the places and objects of interest. Editor.]