Skip to main content

March 1899 - Meetings and Lectures at Badsey

Monthly Magazine for the Parishes of S James, Badsey, with Aldington & S John Baptist, Wickhamford
Transcription of article


We take this opportunity of offering our best, thanks to Mr. William Bennett for giving a half of ton of coke to the Church at Badsey, and also to Mrs. Savory for presenting two embroidered alms bags to Wickhamford Church.

Four lectures on Home Nursing for Women will be given by Miss Edith Sykes in the Vicarage Parish room on Mondays, February 6th, 15th, 20th, and 27th, at 7 p.m. Admission free.

Two meetings for men only have been held during the past month. On January 9th the Vicar gave an account of the Parish Registers, and Mr. A. E. Jones showed some Roman coins and pottery which had been dug up at Badsey. On January 24th, Mr. Savory introduced the subject of the restoration of the Parish Church. He said as follows: - "The restoration and enlargement of Badsey Church took place in the year 1885, the Vicar at that time being the Rev. T. H. Hunt, and the Churchwardens, Mr. A. H. Savory and Mr. J. Sladden. The additions included the new South aisle with the porch, and the Vestry on the North side of the Chancel; the building of the new aisle necessitated the removal of the old South wall, the old door being reset in the new wall. The restoration comprised the demolition of the ugly gallery; the removal of the high pews ; the rebuilding of the North wall of the nave, and the East wall of the transept; the construction of a chancel arch; an entirely new transept roof; the complete repair of the old oak roofs of nave and chancel with the removal of the whitewashed lath and plaster ceilings; the repair of the tower roof, pinnacles, and battlements, with the addition of a lightning conductor, and the relaying of the floors throughout the Church The total expenditure amounted to £2,131, which was defrayed by donations £1,443, collections in Church £246, entertainments £110, bazaars and sales £265, and various sources £65. The original scheme included the re-hanging of the bells and the reseating of the Church in a permanent form. The former was accomplished last year, and it is hoped that the latter may also be brought to a successful issue in the early future." An interesting discussion followed, in which Mr. Sladden, the Vicar, and others took part.