How did the road get its name?
Allsebrook Gardens is named after Canon William Carmont Allsebrook, Vicar of Badsey and Wickhamford from 1903-1945, who was also Rural Dean of Evesham from 1921-1945 and Honorary Canon of Worcester Cathedral from 1930-1946. The old Vicarage where he lived was demolished in 1971, ten new houses were built on the land, and a new Vicarage was built in the High Street.
When did housing development begin?
The old Vicarage, which was built on part of this site in the late 18th century, was demolished in 1971. The land was sold, together with part of a field known as The Stockey, to Maxim Homes Ltd on 20th October 1971. Ten executive detached houses were built in a cul-de-sac, the first house to be sold being number 7 on 20th May 1974. The nine other houses were sold between April and September 1975.
The houses are numbered 1-11 with no number 10, the odd numbers being on the south side and the even numbers on the north side. Numbers 1, 2 and 4 are on the site of the old Vicarage.
19th and early 20th century auctions
Allsebrook Gardens is on the site of several old enclosures and fields mentioned in the Commissioners’ Awards of 1815: the Parsonage, Pig Close, Great Stockey, Little Stockey. An auction of 2nd July 1866 and a deed of annexation of 1910 also mention the land.