How did the road get its name?
The Drift is so-called because the Parish Council of the day identified a reference to “drift” in an area slightly to the east of the site and, in order to perpetuate the name in the village, it was decided to give the new development this name. A “drift way” was the term used for a road over which cattle were driven).
When did housing development begin?
This small housing development of five terraced houses and two detached bungalows off Old Post Office Lane was built in about 1989. During the first part of the 20th century, the land had been a market gardener’s holding. From 1956 to 1970, it was used as a builder’s yard owned by John Sutton, an Evesham man. After John Sutton’s death, it was sold to Norpe Saunas (who made sauna baths). When they decided to move their base elsewhere, the yard and office were sold to housing developers.
The houses are numbered 1-7.
19th and early 20th century auctions and ownership
In 1812, at the time of the Badsey Enclosure Act, this plot of land was an old enclosure which belonged to Elizabeth Ballard. It was part of the garden of her house and homestead and amounted to 0a 3r 13p.