How did the road get its name?
As with the first phase of Council housing development in the 1920s when houses were built along Synehurst, Synehurst Crescent is so-called because of the old field name. The land was known as Seaneys Ground at the beginning of the 19th century but, by the beginning of the 20th century, it was known as Corner Ground or Sinehurst. The land used to belong to Aldington but it became part of Badsey in 1921.
When did housing development begin?
Synehurst Crescent was the second phase of Council development when seven pairs of semi-detached houses were built in 1933 to meet the growing need for more council housing. The houses were numbered 1-14, the numbering beginning at the east end opposite the old school (now the British Legion). The gardens were all shaped like a wedge of cheese. The new occupants were primarily people who had lived in the cottages at Sharps Row which had been due for demolition for some time. Two years later, at the same time as Synehurst Avenue was built, three more pairs (numbers 15-20) were added on the opposite side of the road. Synehurst Crescent was originally a cul-de-sac with no exit at the north end to Synehurst and the Bretforton Road, but this was later changed. Rather confusingly, a sign saying Synehurst Crescent has been put on to the side of number 30 Synehurst.
Further information about the road may be found in the chapter called "Council Housing in Badsey & Aldington" by Will Dallimore, in Aldington and Badsey: Villages in the Vale - A Tapestry of Local History.
The numbers of the 20 houses on Synehurst Crescent run from 57-76, with no numbers 1-56. The reason for this is because, when the houses were renumbered in 1950, they were given these numbers as a continuation of the numbering on Synehurst and Synehurst Avenue. However, the numbers were reversed with the former number 1 now being the last number in the road, number 76.
19th and early 20th century auctions and ownership
Seaneys Ground is mentioned in the Aldington Enclosure Awards. At an auction on 10th June 1912, Sinehurst was sold as Lot 16 to Mr F Thould, the tenant, who later sold it to Evesham District Rural Council.