Two dogs and 27 members turned out to walk to Blackminster and back via Black Banks and Aldington.
In an Aldington meadow, we marvelled at the fact that this was once home to Badsey Rangers’ Football Club in the first 30 years of its existence. Brian Smith, our Aldington poet, recited a poem he wrote about a final in 1912 that attracted around 2000 spectators. Terry Sparrow also gave a brief history of times past when football players and spectators prioritised a football match over their daily labours.
Once at Aldington, we meandered across the mill stream and up the footpath to Horsebridge Avenue where, in Will & John Dallimore's back garden, Jane Neill, our archivist, cut the ribbon and officially opened “The Drill Hall” - the new shed for keeping our market gardening items. A splendid buffet and drinks, courtesy of the Dallimores, and a beautiful sunset, concluded our enjoyable evening walk. Many thanks to Valerie Magan for organizing the event.