The name Honyborne, or its variant Honiborne or Honeyborne, first appears in Wickhamford parish records in 1539; the last incidence is in 1613. There are also a few occurences of the name in Badsey. Precise details of the family relationships are difficult to ascertain as there were several people with the same name (John and Agnes in particular) frequently occurring. No Honyborne left a will, so we are left with the sparse information in the parish registers. The following information may be deemed to be “best guess” based on the information available.
John Honyborne (?-1574) may have been the son of Thomas (?-1569) and Joan Honyborne (?-1551) and the brother of Thomas Honyborne (below) but, as he was born before parish registers began, it is impossible to tell.
John was married to Agnes. They had at least six children, all baptised at Wickhamford: Agnes (1539), Henry (1541-1552), Elizabeth (1541), William (1544), John (1547-1563) and Margareta (?-1549). Agnes died in July 1553.
John may possibly have married again in 1565 to Sibil? Tanner and had five children all baptised at Wickhamford: Thomas (1565), Katherine (1566), Elizabeth (1567), Joan (1567) and Agnes (1569). John may have died in 1574.
Thomas Honyborne (?-1569) may have been the son of Thomas (?-1569) and Joan Honyborne (?-1551) and the brother of John Honyborne (above) but, as he was born before parish registers began, it is impossible to tell.
Thomas was married to Elizabeth. They had twins, William and Elizabeth, in 1552, baptised at Wickhamford. Elizabeth died in 1563. It is thought that Thomas married again in 1564 to Agnes Cooper. Thomas most likely died in 1569. There are two Thomas Honybornes in the burial register for 1569, one buried 3rd September and one on 20th November, so it was probably one of those dates, the other one most likely being his father. Agnes died in 1572.
John Honyborne married Sybil Badsey at Wickhamford in 1570. They had three children: Thomas (1572), Joan (1573) and Philip (1574-1574). Joan married Thomas Camden at Wickhamford in 1601. John is thought to have died in 1602 and Sybil died in 1613 – the last of the Honybornes in Wickhamford.
In Badsey, four children of John Honyborne were baptised: William (1548), Thomas (1551), Nicholas (1551) and Richard (1552).
- John Honibourne, buried at Wickhamford in 1558.
- Agnes Honyborne, wife of John Honyborne, buried at Wickhamford in 1564.
- Agnes Honyborne, buried at Wickhamford in 1594.
- Agnes Honyborne, buried at Wickhamford in 1597.
- Margaret Honeybeane, married Thomas Dark the younger at Badsey in 1610.
- The name of Honyborne had died out in Wickhamford by the early 17th century with the death of Sybil Honyborne in 1614.
- Position in League Table: 3 (Wickhamford top ten 1500s)
- Name variants: Honyborne, Honiborne, Honeyborne, Honybeane
- Name origin: Locational, from the nearby village of Honeybourne
- Total number of Wickhamford baptism records: 15
- Total number of Wickhamford marriage records: 5
- Total number of Wickhamford burial records: 17
- Total number of Badsey baptism records: 4
Maureen Spinks, May 2019