Bertram A Jones was an ivory craftsman who worked in Badsey in the 1950s. He lived at Vine Cottage in Chapel Street. His small workshop was at the rear in another cottage - the first in a short row that were pulled down to make space for the Garden of Remembrance in the south east corner of the churchyard.
Popularly known as 'Ivory Jones', he was one of very few ivory carvers working in England at the time. His great grandfather was an ivory carver and the trade had been passed down in his family. Bertram served a three year apprenticeship and made a range of articles from ivory including paper knives, necklaces, chess men, and stop knobs for church organs. Maceys Department Store in New York ordered handmade chess sets from him. One of the family trade secrets was a method of dying ivory a blood red tint. This colour was used on early billiard balls.
In February 1952 the Evesham Journal published an article about him with a photograph. By this time he had retired.
His tombstone in Badsey churchyard reads:
IN LOVING MEMORY OF BERTRAM A. JONES 1887-1969 AND HIS WIFE ELLEN MARIE 1890-1968.
Today there is a worldwide ban on trading and manufacturing in ivory in order to protect elephants. In the 1950s attitudes to ivory were different and Bertram had no difficulty in buying ivory from a supplier in London, although it was an expensive material.
See also: A film clip from Midland News, 12th March 1957, held at MACE (Media Archive for Central England).