John Henry Walters (1887-1977), known as Harry, was born at Wickhamford on 20th November 1887, the elder of two sons of Elias Charles and Dinah Walters. A market gardener’s labourer in 1911, he was living with his parents and younger brother in Manor Road.
Harry joined the Worcestershire Regiment, 2/8th Battalion (No 4468). (The Evesham Journal of 13th November 1915 listed him as having joined the Royal Garrison Artillery.) Harry Walters was noted in the Parish Magazine as being wounded on 5th December 1917. By the New Year he was well enough to return to France and was reported missing on 21st March 1918, during the great German offensive. By April he was back in England, in hospital in Nottingham, suffering from a poisoned hand.
Harry Walters is buried in Wickhamford Cemetery.