How did the road get its name?
The road is named after the Sandys family who owned Wickhamford Manor and almost the whole of the village of Wickhamford for nearly 300 years, until 1869.
When did housing development begin?
Following the sale of land in the Wickhamford Estate sale of 1930, five pairs of semi-detached council houses were built in the 1930s: Nos 1, 3, 5 & 7 on the west side and Nos 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 & 12 on the east side. These houses featured in the 1939 register. At a slightly later date, two more pairs of semi-detached houses were built, and a block of four flats (Nos 13, 15, 17 & 18). In 2016, a terrace of three affordable housing properties was built at the end of the avenue (Nos 11A, 11B & 11C).
The numbers are 1-18 (evens on the east side and odds on the west side), with infill houses 11A, 11B & 11C.
19th and early 20th century auctions
The land on which Sandys Avenue is situated was once part of the Elms Farm on the Wickhamford estate which had been owned by the Sandys family for several centuries. The estate was sold at auction on 10th July 1869 and bought by Captain John Pickup Lord, a Lancastrian landowner who had recently bought a large amount of land in Badsey.
On 15th September 1930 the land was put up for auction again, by the trustees of the late Captain Lord. Now, over sixty years since the former sale, the land was sold off in small parcels rather than as one vast estate. It appears that the land was sold in Lots 51 & 52 which was pasture known as Pitchers Hill Close.