Skip to main content

Philip John BAYLISS (1877-1956)

Biographical Details

Philip John Bayliss (1877-1956) lived in Badsey from 1911-1928 and was prominent in village life.  He is mentioned in letters written by May Sladden, Eugénie Sladden and Mela Brown Constable in 1914 and 1915.

Philip was born in Evesham in 1877, the eldest of three children of John Philip Bayliss and his wife, Susan.  John was a baker and they lived at 6 Vine Street, Evesham.  Philip’s father died in 1886 when Philip was aged nine.  Philip’s uncle, Joseph Browning Bayliss, took over the bakery and, in 1891, Philip and his mother and younger brother were still living at 6 Vine Sreet; Philip was described as a Law Clerk.

Philip married Ellen Julia Davis on 2nd October 1899 at St Peter’s Church, Harborne, Worcestershire.  They had a son and daughter:  Edith May (1900) and Philip Frederick (1904).  In 1901, they lived at 1 Bredon Terrace, Briar Close, Evesham St Lawrence, in 1901; Philip was then a Fruit Merchant’s Clerk.  By 1911 they had moved to Cornwall Villa, Honeybourne; Philip was Relieving Officer.

The Bayliss family moved to Mostyn Villa, Badsey, in December 1911 when the children enrolled at Badsey School on 4th December 1911, having previously attended Honeybourne School.  Philip John Bayliss is first recorded in Smith’s Household Almanack in 1912, when his occupation is given as Relieving Officer.  He became Secretary of Badsey Rovers Football Club.

On the outbreak of war, Philip, who was with the Territorials, joined up.  May Sladden refers to waving goodbye to the Territorials in a letter of 15th November 1914.  Philip arrived in France on 31st March 1915 with the Worcestershire Regiment.  In a letter of 10th June 1915, Eugénie Sladden refers to Ethel making up a parcel for Philip.  He later transferred to the Gloucestershire Regiment but then was given a commission with the Worcestershire Regiment.

Philip returned to Badsey after the war.  By 1922 he was described as Relieving Officer and Assistant Overseer and by 1924 he was described as Relieving Officer, Registrar and Assistant Overseer.  The 1924 Electoral Register lists the Bayliss family as living at The Orchards.  Philip’s last entry in the Almanack was 1928; he then moved to Evesham.

In 1939, Philip and Ellen were living at 9 Broadway Road, Evesham.  Philip was described as Relieving Officer and Registrar of Births, Deaths, Marriages retired and part-time School Attendance Officer.  Philip was Mayor of Evesham during the Second World War.

Philip died in the Evesham area in 1956, his wife, Ellen, having pre-deceased him by ten years.

Letters mentioning this person: