Skip to main content

Ellen Julia BAYLISS (née DAVIS) (1872-1946)

Biographical Details

Ellen Julia Bayliss, née Davis (1873-1946), lived in Badsey from 1911-1928 with her husband, Philip John Bayliss, who was prominent in village life.

Ellen was born on 1st November 1873 at Curdworth, Warwickshire, the daughter of John Edward Davis, a brick maker, and his wife, Caroline.  At the time of the 1881 census, when she is listed as Nelly, she was living in Aston with her parents and nine siblings.

Ellen’s mother, Caroline, died in 1884.  Her father married again in 1890 to Emily Sandon.  At the time of the 1891 census, Ellen’s father and step-mother were living in Aston with Ellen’s two youngest brothers.  Ellen herself was working as a waitress in a hotel in Solihull.

Ellen married Philip John Bayliss on 2nd October 1899 at St Peter’s Church, Barborne, Worcestershire.  They had a son and daughter:  Edith May (1900) and Philip Frederick (1904).  In 1901, they lived at 1 Bredon Terrace, Briar Close, Evesham St Lawrence, in 1901; Philip was then a Fruit Merchant’s Clerk.  By 1911 they had moved to Cornwall Villa, Honeybourne; Philip was Relieving Officer.

The Bayliss family moved to Mostyn Villa, Badsey, in December 1911 when the children enrolled at Badsey School on 4th December 1911, having previously attended Honeybourne School. 

On the outbreak of war, Ellen’s husband, Philip, who was with the Territorials, joined up.  Ellen is mentioned in a letter from Mela Brown Constable on 29th April 1915 and one from Julius Sladden on 18th July 1915.

Ellen and Philip moved from Badsey to Evesham in about 1928.  In 1939, they were living at 9 Broadway Road, Evesham.

Ellen died in Evesham in 1946, ten years before her husband.

Letters mentioning this person: