Pte Frank Banner (1881-1956) was a market gardener living with his wife in Manor Road in 1911. He was recruited late in the War, on 26th March 1917, at the age of 36, and was posted firstly to the 13th Devonshire Regiment (No 61407) on 3rd April. He was quickly transferred to the 3rd Labour Battalion on the 24th of that month and posted to the 627th Agricultural Co. (No 143106). At recruitment his occupation was given as a fruit grower (last employer: Wm Masters of Stourport) and a publican and his next of kin was his brother, George Thomas Banner. He served only in the UK, carrying out Regimental and agricultural duties, and his medical record mentions that military service aggravated an existing injury to his left leg. He was discharged on 3rd March 1919 and was the landlord of the Sandys Arms in the 1920s under the licensee Hannah Pethard.
In 1919 he was responsible for distributing mugs commemorating the Peace to local schoolchildren at The Sandys Arms.