Andrew Jackson’s association with Wickhamford began long after WWI had ended.
Andrew Jackson was born in Oldham, the son of a schoolmaster of the same name. He attended Manchester Grammar School and was due to go up to St John’s College, Cambridge, but instead, enlisted in the 21st Battalion, Royal Fusiliers, as a Private (No. 4117), going to France on 14th November 1915. He later joined the 8th Battalion, East Lancashire Regt as a 2nd Lieutenant, being commissioned on 26th June 1917. He was awarded the Military Cross for gallantry in Flanders and the British War and Victory Medals and the 1915 Star. When he married Winifred Ball in Stretford, Lancashire, in May 1919, his occupation was entered as “Lt. East Lancs Regt”. Lt Jackson was demobilised on 24th March 1920.
The record of his M.C. award in the London Gazette of 16th September 1918 is as follows:
T. / 2nd Lt. Andrew Eric Jackson, E. Lanc. R.
For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during severe fighting around a position. He moved about among his men regardless of shell and machine-gun fire, cheering them and inspiring them with confidence, and setting a magnificent example to all ranks. As the troops on the left retired he rushed forward with a Lewis gun and enfiladed the enemy with effect, thereby rendering great assistance in checking them until his flank was covered by a party of men who had been pushed into position.
After the War he obtained a B.A. degree at the University of London. He became a Classics Master (1923-30) at Yeovil School and Officer in Command of the School Corps, and was then, for 28 years, Headmaster of St Peter’s Collegiate School, Wolverhampton. He retired in 1958. In the 1939 National Register he was noted as being attached to the Somerset Light Infantry from 1924 and an A.R.P. Warden for telephone, clerical and First Aid duties. According to notes in the Parish Magazine at his death in February 1977, he lived at Windward House, by the Murcot Turn in Wickhamford. He was a Greek and Latin scholar with several publications to his name, including Latin Prose Unseens (Harrap, 1927).
Andrew Eric Jackson was buried in Broadway churchyard.