Skip to main content

HAYMAN, Stanley Morris – emigrated 1907

Stanley Morris Hayman was born on 21st May 1888 at Clifton, Bristol, the fifth of seven children of Samuel John Hayman, a dentist, and his wife, Henrietta Caroline Toulmin.  He was living with his family at Kingston Villa, Richmond Hill, in 1891, and at Lansdowne Villa, Clifton, in 1901.

On leaving school, Stanley decided to take up a career in farming and moved to Wickhamford as a farm pupil.  His aunt, Emily Ann Carter (née Hayman), was married to farmer, Benjamin Carter, who often took farm pupils; they lived at Field Farm, Wickhamford.  It is not known how long Stanley remained in Wickhamford, but he was certainly there in November 1905 when a report appeared in The Evesham Observer about him appearing as a witness in a case of trespass at Field Farm.

Undoubtedly encouraged by his aunt and uncle, Stanley decided to start farming in Canada.  Benjamin Carter’s son by his first marriage, Benjamin Atwell Carter, had emigrated to Canada in 1891, so this perhaps influenced Stanley’s decision.  Two of Stanley’s brothers had also emigrated:  Leonard Augustine in 1901 and Gordon Parker in 1906.  Stanley sailed from Avonmouth in 1907, arriving at St John, New Brunswick, on 18th April.  By the time of the 1911 census he was farming at Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, whilst his brothers were in British Columbia.  In 1912, Stanley’s cousin, Alfred George Hayman, who had also been a farm pupil at Field Farm, Wickhamford, also emigrated.

In about 1913, Stanley married Florence Hopkins who had emigrated to Canada in February 1913.  It is assumed that the two had met when Stanley was living at Field Farm, Wickhamford, as Florence was an Evesham girl.  At the time of the 1916 Saskatchewan census, their domicile was given as Hillsborough, Moose Jaw; they were still there for the 1921 census.  They had no children.

A 1941 document relating to border crossings from Canada to the USA reveals that Stanley was by now an engineer.

A book about Bengeworth sent in 1974 by Florence to her friend, Eva Cooke of Robin Cottage, Wickhamford, reveals that they were then living at Pelly, Saskatchewan.

It is not known when Stanley died.  In old age, Florence returned to England and settled in the town of her birth, ending her days in an Evesham Old People’s Home in 1990 at the age of 100.