How did the road get its name?
Coombefield Road is so-called because of the ancient field names of Coombe Map and Further Coombe Way which were once part of the Elms Farm on the Wickhamford Estate.
When did housing development begin?
Coombefield Road was a Council estate built in the 1950s on land to the rear of The Sandys Arms. To begin with, 18 houses were built: a mixture of terraced and semi-detached houses. The road was later bisected by Sally Close (with Nos 1-8 being to the north and Nos 9-24 being to the south). In the 1970s, seven bungalows were built on the west side of the road. Nos 19, 19A & 19B were built on land which had once been part of Coronation Villa, 3 Pitchers Hill.
The numbers are 1-24, with no No 20 but Nos 19, 19A & 19B.
19th and early 20th century auctions
The land on which Coombefield Road is situated was once part of the Elms Farm on the Wickhamford estate which had been owned by the Sandys family for several centuries. The estate was sold at auction on 10th July 1869 and bought by Captain John Pickup Lord, a Lancastrian landowner who had recently bought a large amount of land in Badsey.
On 15th September 1930 the land was put up for auction again, by the trustees of the late Captain Lord. Now, over sixty years since the former sale, the land was sold off in small parcels rather than as one vast estate. Not all of the parcels of land were sold; that which was remaining was sold in 1950 to Christ Church, which paved the way for housing development.