Lucy Marion HAYNES (née JONES) (1855-1920)
Lucy Marion Haynes (1855-1920) was a friend of the Sladden family. Her husband, an Evesham surgeon, had known Julius Sladden since schooldays in Epsom and Eugénie Sladden often called on Mrs Haynes. She was often referred to as Mrs Horace Haynes, to distinguish her from Emma Haynes who was Mrs A Haynes.
Lucy Jones was born in Kensington, London, in 1855, the third of five children of Frederick Jones, a surveyor, and his wife, Ellen.
Lucy married Horace Eyre Haynes, an Evesham surgeon, on 3rd July 1876 at St Mary’s, Acton, Middlesex, and went to live with him in Evesham. They had three sons and two daughters: Horace Guy Lankester (1877-1955) and Hugh Lankester (1878-1956), Eve Muriel Lankester (1881-1946), Christine Gladys Lankester (1884-1915) and Rupert Lankester (1885-1886). Their children were of a similar age to the eldest Sladden children.
The Haynes family lived on Port Street, Evesham, in 1881, and at 27 Church Terrace, Bengeworth in 1891. It was to this house in Bengeworth that Eugénie Sladden often went to in the 1890s for “The Literary”, which was a kind of book club.
By 1901, the Haynes family was living at 42 Ashburnham Road, Bedford. In 1911, Horace was in charge of an establishment, Littleton Hall, Shenfield, Brentwood.
Lucy Haynes died at Hove, Sussex, in 1920, aged 65.