How did the road get its name?
Lodge Park Drive has a postal address of Evesham but is located in the parish of Aldington and the Badsey ward/electoral division. The road is so-called because it is named after Aldington Lodge which was built on the land in 1858 and demolished in December 2018.
When did housing development begin?
Lodge Park Drive is a private development of 3, 4 & 5 bedroom houses built by Redrow next to The Parks in Aldington in 2017-2019. Prior to that, the only house to be built on the land was Aldington Lodge in 1858. Whilst the new houses were being built, Aldington Lodge remained standing. Discussions took place about its future with the possibility of its use as a community centre being raised but, in the end, demolition was agreed and three new homes were built on the site in 2019 (Nos 12, 12A & 12B). An archaeological dig paid for by Redrow in 2016 uncovered a burial site and the amazing discovery of a complete, bell-shaped pottery jar of the type known as a beaker, dating back to 2500-2100 BC.
Odd numbers are 1-57 (without No 13) on the west side and even numbers are 2-26 on the east side.
19th and early 20th century land ownership and auctions
Part of the land was allotted in 1808 by the Aldington Enclosure Commissioners to William Chambers, whilst another part was allotted to John Millard, John Benton and Ann Slatter, who were the lessees of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church. By 1855, William Chambers’ land was owned by a Mr Cartwright, who also occupied two acres of pasture to the east which was the southernmost field of the Christ Church land. Aldington Lodge was built on the northern-eastern part of the Chambers’ land in 1858. A valuation and plan of the Christ Church land in 1855 shows that they still owned the field at that stage, but it is likely that is was sold that year to provide extra land for Aldington Lodge. Another plan, undated, clearly shows that the field was no longer part of the Christ Church land. It had certainly been sold by the time that the Reverend Thomas Clark bought the Christ Church land in 1872.