Charles BUTLER (1848-1898)
Charles Butler (1848-1898), known as Charlie, was the brother-in-law of Eugénie Sladden, being married to her sister, Fanny.
Charlie was born at St Giles, Middlesex in 1848, the third of nine children and eldest son of Charles Butler and his wife, Susannah Sarah (née Lambert). The Butler family lived at 142 Drury Lane in 1851 and at Hollyfield, Ewell Road, Kingston, at the time of the 1861 and 1871 census.
Charlie became a tobacco manufacturer like his father, joining the family firm of Lambert & Butler which had been founded in 1834 by Charles Butler with his brother-in-law. They began selling cigars first in St John Street, Clerkenwell and then from 1836 from their premises in Drury Lane. During the 19th century, Lambert & Butler grew considerably.
On 16th July 1872, Charlie married Fanny Eliza Jacqueline Mourilyan at the British Embassy in Paris. They lived firstly at Moreford Lodge, Norbiton, Surrey, where their first three children were born: Charles Rupert (1873-1915), Evelyn Fanny (1875-1925), Francis Mourilyan (1876-1917). Early in 1878 they moved to Gloucester House, Claremont Road, Surbiton, where six more children were born: Lilian Mary (1878-1952), Winifred Emma (1880-1958), Mabel Jacqueline (1883-1945), Thomas Lionel (1884-1954), Alfred (1885-1961) and Christine Maria Louise (1890-1955). Charles and Fanny were away from home on the night of the 1891 census. The six youngest children were at Gloucester House in the charge of a governess, Ruth Matson, and five servants, including 21-year-old Sarah Roberts from Badsey.
In September 1896 the family moved to The Lodge, Byfleet, Surrey, where Charles died on 8th August 1898, aged 50, leaving effects of £79,588 14s 10d. Lambert & Butler had grown considerably during this time. His eldest son, Charles Rupert Butler, took over the running of the business.