Skip to main content

March 17th 1916 - Letter from Ethel Sladden to her mother, Eugénie Sladden

17th March 1916
Correspondence From
Ethel Sladden, Trouville, Middle Deal Road, Deal
Correspondence To
Eugénie Sladden, Seward House, Badsey
Relationship to Letter Addressee
Text of Letter

Middle Deal Road

March 17th /16

My dear Mother

I was just feeling I should like some news from home when your letter arrived last evening. Evidently post is longer now, it takes 24 hours to get through. I am glad you had been able to get out a little further, and hope the weather will be kind and let you get out more. Yesterday was very sunny and warm in the morning here and I managed to get Aunt Edith to go out from 12.30 to 1, Mrs Tildersly went with her. Norah has had bad nights again, and was very weary and wretched this morning. I think she was brighter this afternoon. The doctor has not been today, he generally comes every other. I wish he had as I think she ought to have something to make her sleep, morphine if necessary. She longs for sleep, but never gets any length of it, half an hour perhaps, and she never sleeps in the day. She closes her eyes, but her brain is always awake, and try as she will she cannot get right off. I have been busy with many little things most of the time; Tuesday was very damp and foggy, I went to the station with Aunt Lottie at 5.40 and then just walked up to the front, it was very thick over the sea. We have supper at 7, then I generally write, read the paper and work, then go up to Norah until 9, when the woman came, we sit over the kitchen fire then until I help make Norah’s bed and get her back in it and say goodnight, then I soon put on my things and go next door where after 10 minutes’ chat we go to bed. Wednesday was a wretched wet foggy morning but it cleared after midday. I made Benger’s food for Norah, and cooked brains for dinner (never done it before, had to find out), made curry and cup-puddings for dinner, trimmed stove and lamp and various things, watering plants, etc. I went down the town after dinner to shop and for an airing, got oranges! Marmalade! Don’t pity poor me! There was such a lot of shipping lying in the Downs, I counted at least 70 vessels between the pier and Dover cliffs, they had had to come in because of the fog I suppose. I read to Norah a little between tea and supper and then I cup up the oranges and marmalade in the kitchen, Kathleen helped me. Yesterday I was very busy as the maid was out most of the morning. The confirmation was at 10 o’clock. I had brains to cook for Norah’s dinner at 12, made rissoles and milk pudding for us, and made some buns. I dusted Norah’s room, it wanted a good do, I shook my duster many times! Then I had to answer the doors a good many times, and while Auntie was out I looked after Norah. I also cooked the marmalade for the first boil. I persuaded Auntie to rest on her bed after dinner, so I was in charge and read part of the time to Norah. I went out for a walk after tea. Kathleen fainted at the end of the confirmation, it was a warm morning and a full church which was too much for her, she is somewhat inclined to do it in hot places. Mrs Tildersly was there and looked after her and saw her safely back; she was rather shaky the rest of the day, but managed to do things. This morning I cooked fish, made scones, jelly for Norah and Benger’s, then had to go to shop. Supper is just coming in, I must stop. Did you see that Mr Gaukroger is wounded, I hope it is not serious, Eva will be very anxious. We hear today that poor old Aunt Sarah is dead, it is a great mercy. I am so glad you have Mela back. My love to you all.

Ever your loving daughter
Ethel N Sladden

Letter Images
Type of Correspondence
Envelope containing 1 sheet of notepaper
Location of Document
Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service
Record Office Reference