How did the road get its name?
High Street is the main street running through Badsey. In the 1851 census, it was referred to simply as Street; in 1881 and 1891 it was referred to as Village Street, but in various 20th century deeds it was referred to as Main Street. By 1903 it was being known as High Street. This road is shown on the Badsey Enclosure Map of 1812 but is not included in the Award Schedules. In the 18th century, there was a tendency to accept the layout of rights of way and to design the new enclosures within that framework. It is assumed that the road was not specifically mentioned as it was in an area comprising all old enclosures.
When did housing development begin?
High Street, being in the centre of Badsey, is where housing was concentrated until the late 19th century. There are many old houses along the High Street still in existence, interspersed with more modern houses. It was not until the latter part of the 20th century that a pavement was put along both sides of the road.
Numbering was assigned in the 1950s with Numbers 1-50, even numbers being on the west side and odd numbers on the east side. On the west side, there is no Number 2 High Street (this number was assigned to the former Manor Coach House, converted into residential accommodation in 1951 but demolished in 1987 to make way for Manorside), or Number 24 (the number given to Seward House, which has since been made into four residences with the numbers 24A, 24B, 24C, 24D). On the east side, there are no numbers 13 or 15. Cedar Court and Poplar Court on the east side have a postal address of High Street but are not part of the High Street numbering system.